Location: Washington, DC or New York, NY preferred; remote eligible
Type of Vacancy: Full-time, leadership level
Reports to: Executive Director
Travel required: 20-30% depending on season
Summary of Position
Teaching Lab is seeking a Chief Program Officer (CPO), reporting directly to the Executive Director, to join our Leadership Team and support our organizational mission and growth. The CPO will have several key roles, including leading the creation of original professional learning content across Teaching Lab’s curriculum-specific ELA and math areas, managing a team of 15+ full- and part-time staff that delivers professional learning in sites across the country, and engaging in partnership development efforts and a robust internal learning agenda that will drive improvements to our core model, including evaluating the effectiveness of individual programs and providing ongoing feedback to team members.
Above all, the CPO will hold a high-level vision for improving and iterating on Teaching Lab’s programmatic model by combining internal lessons learned with knowledge of external best practices and research related to the intersection of high-quality curricula and excellent teacher professional learning. As part of this work, the CPO will also be a key member of the Leadership Team, which holds the responsibility for articulating and implementing a strategic vision and driving towards impact on students.
Other responsibilities of the CPO role include mentoring, guidance, supervision, and professional development of key staff and the planning, organizing, operating and staffing of all programs.
Eligible candidates must have deep expertise and skills in managing teams and complex projects and have achieved excellence in teaching and designing professional learning and/or curriculum aligned with high standards. Ideal candidates will have the unique combination of organizational strategic acumen, ability to mobilize people internally and externally, and experience and passion for developing partnerships for improving instruction to achieve educational equity.
- In coordination with the Leadership Team, manage programmatic strategy and implementation at the intersection of content development, delivery of professional learning, and partnerships to effectively take Teaching Lab from a start-up to a sustainable and mission-achieving organization
- Provide strategic guidance on content development and service delivery priorities given market and landscape analyses
- Establish program area and staff goals and objectives on an annual basis, including tracking and reporting results against established goals monthly
- Manage teams to develop and iterate on best-in-class ELA and math professional learning content teachers, school leaders, and district/state administrators
- Engage Leadership Team in creating a five-year strategic plan for additional curricula, subject areas, and professional learning approaches
Client Management, Program Delivery, and Partnership Development
- Ensure a seamless integration of client management and program delivery, helping to deepen and extend our partnership work in districts to achieve our mission
- With Leadership Team, develop and manage partnership development and organizational growth strategy
- With team, create robust pipeline of new partners and secure new partners aligned with Teaching Lab’s business development strategy and growth goals
Program Learning & Iteration
- With team, manage the learning and improvement strategy for the organization, facilitating the collection and analysis of key data on enabling conditions, program implementation, and professional learning facilitator/coach quality
- Facilitate Teaching Lab’s cultural development into a learning organization committed to an iterative and adaptive approach to continuous improvement
- With content developers and site implementers, develop key learning questions and collect and analyze aligned data that link improvements across professional learning content and professional learning service delivery
- Coordinate with Leadership Team to develop new program ideas and pilot projects, given data analysis
Management and Mentoring of Key Staff
- Directly supervise key staff, working closely with team members to build their skill sets so that they can mentor, manage, and motivate all staff and external partners
- Mentor team members on how to proactively engage in planning to improve program management
- Create and support a high-performance culture in the program areas, aligned with the core values of the organization
- Develop a team-based environment to motivate and inspire staff to work collaboratively toward a goal by clearly communicating organizational vision and implementing yearly staff development plans
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 7 years working experience
- Excellent teaching experience with students from underserved background (2 years minimum)
- Full-time experience implementing program to improve instructional quality on a medium to large scale
- Experience successfully managing teams to achieve ambitious goals
- Experience with implementation of high-quality, standards-aligned curricula
- Experience in community organizing or related work preferred
- Experience and successful tenure as a Chief Academic Officer, Chief Program Officer, or similar role preferred
- Experience developing and implementing strategic plans and overseeing major initiatives, preferably within a school district or state
- Deep commitment to organizational mission and educational equity
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial and self-starting culture
- Superior critical thinking and creative problem-solving capabilities
- Excellent organizational skills and professional judgment
- Ability to form credible and lasting relationships with teachers, school leaders, and district and state leaders
- Compelling communication and influence skills, and a strong commitment to working collaboratively
- Passionate commitment to educational equity
- Relentless focus on results for underserved students
- High bar for quality of work
- Growth mindset
- Intellectual depth and curiosity
- This position is eligible for remote work in the continental United https://assets.aspeninstitute.org/content/uploads/2017/04/Practice-What-You-Teach.pdfStates but proximity to NYC or DC is preferred.
- The position offers flexible scheduling and working location on a daily or weekly basis.
- This position will require significant travel (20-30%) based on organizational needs and capacity.
- We are committed to building a sustainable organization. We love our work and want to be able to do it for years to come. This means that despite the pace and intensity of a startup organization, we commit to maintaining a balance between work and other parts of our lives.
To Learn More
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “CPO Candidate: [First Name Last Name]” (e.g., “CPO Candidate: Adam Smith”):
- A resume & cover letter PDF format
- A sample work product that highlights your experience and qualifications for this role, as well as a brief description about your role in producing that work product.